There's nothing like a batch of classic gingerbread cookies to get you in the holiday spirit! These gingerbread cookies are sure to taste great & impress this holiday season!
Happy Holiday baking!
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ ground cloves
- 1½ cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1½ cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup Grandma's molasses (unsulfured)
- 2 large eggs
- Soften butter in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices. Mix evenly.
- Add brown sugar to softened butter and cream together with mixer until fluffy.
- Add the molasses and eggs to butter mixture and blend.
- On low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until incorporated.
- Scrape dough onto saran wrap and use the wrap, not your fingers, to press the mixture together to form a round ball of dough. Divide dough into 4 even sections, mold each section into a flat disc (about 1-1 ½ inches thick) and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. These discs can be stored refrigerated for several weeks.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On floured surface, roll out disc of dough to approx. 1/8 in thickness. Cut with desired cutters.
- Using an angled metal spatula, lift cut shapes onto cookie sheets approx. 1 in apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies. Just beginning to colour around the edges means they are ready.
- Cool cookies on sheet until firm, approx. 2 min before transferring to wire racks to cool completely before decorating.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 7 days.
- Makes about 60-70 gingerbread men depending on how thin you roll the dough!